Current News

Constable

Community Shop

Church

Organisations

History

Airfield

Businesses

Links

Information

Map

Pertwees

 

Home

 

 

History

 

Glebe Farm

Hedging

 

Pertwees

 

Schofields

 

Shepherd and Dog

 

Whitnells

 

 

 

 

 

Home

 

 

   

Pertwees was formed in 1899 by Frank Pertwee and operated from The Hythe in Colchester. By 1980 it had grown into one of the country's largest family-owned agricultural merchanting businesses with 300 employees and a turnover of more than 50 million. The head office was at the elegant Harbour House. However as the farming industry was forced to change and adapt to the difficult conditions of the 1990s so its suppliers had to find new strategies for development and Pertwees gradually withdrew from its traditional agricultural activities.

 

These days the company is involved in a diversity of commercial and residential property developments and in the letting of both office and residential properties. It operates from offices which they built on the site of the old T2 hanger on the airfield and the current Managing Director is Mark Pertwee, the great grandson of the founder. The offices are a very good example of how redundant farm buildings can be put to a good use.